torsdag 19 februari 2009

Europa i dvala?

”ON THE MORNING OF November 2, 2004, I sat in my mother´s kitchen table in Queens, New York, drinking instant coffee and thinking about Gerorge W. Bush and John Kerry. It was election day, and I was irked that since I was flying back home to Oslo that evening, I´d miss the vote count on TV.

The phone. “Hello? Oh yes. Just a moment.” My mother held out the phone. “It´s Mark.” I took it.
“Mark?”
“Hi, Bruce. Have you heard about Theo van Gogh?”
“No, what?”
“He was murdered this morning.”
“You´re kidding.”

Mark, like me, is an American with a Norweigan partner. But though he moved back to New York years ago, he still starts the day by checking the news at the Web site of NRK /-/Switching into Norweigan, he read me the story. Van Gogh, the Dutch filmmaker at newspaper columnist, had been shot and killed in Amsterdam. Shortly afterward, police had arrested a26 year old Dutch-Morrocan man.

Later, I´d lean more. Van Gogh had been bicycling to work along a street called Linnaeusstraat when Mo-hammed Bouyeri, the Dutch-born son of Moroccan parents and a member of a radical Muslim network, had shot him, knocking him of his bicycle. Bouyeri, wearing a long jellaba, pumped up to twenty additional bullets into van Goghs body, stabbed him several times, and slit his throat. He then pinned to van Goghs chest whit a knife a five-page letter addressed to the filmmaker´s collaborator, Parliament member Ayaan Hiris Ali, quoting the Koran and promising her and several other Dutch leaders (whom he named) a similar end:

I know definitely that you, O America, will go down. I know definitely that you, O Europe, will go down. I know definitely that you, O Netherlands, will go down. I know definitely that you, O Hirsi Ali, will go down.

According to witness, van Gogh had said to his murderer (who at the time was living on welfare payments from the Dutch government): “Don´t do it! Don´t do it! Mercy! Mercy!” and “ Surely we can talk about this.”"


Så inleds första kapitlet i den bok jag fick hem för någon dag sedan, ”While Europe slept. How radical islamisn is destroying the west from within” av Bruce Bawer.

Ser fram emot spännande läsning.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar